AUTHORS/ Gillet, Lev
Born in 1893 in Saint-Marcellin (Isère, France), after studies of philosophy in Paris, Louis Gillet (Lev Gillet - Photo) was mobilized during the First World War, held prisoner in 1914 and spends three years in captivity, where he is attracted by the spirit and the spirituality of the Russian prisoners. He studies mathematics and psychology in Geneva and joins the Benedictines in Clairvaux in 1919. Attracted by the Eastern Christian world, he becomes acquainted with Metropolitan Andreas Szeptycki of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in Galicia, and pronounces his final vows at the Studite Monastery of Ouniov in Galicia.
Disappointed by the attitude of the Catholic Church towards Orthodoxy, Father Lev was received in the Orthodox Church in Paris in May 1928, and in November 1928 he becomes the rector of the parish of Sainte-Geneviève-de-Paris, the first French-speaking Orthodox parish. In 1938 he leaves Paris to settle in London, within the framework of the Fellowship of Saint Alban and Saint Sergius, an ecumenical organization dedicated to the bringing together of the Anglican Church and the Orthodox Church. He remained in England until his death in 1980, going on many journeys abroad, in particular to France, Switzerland and Lebanon, where he took part in the spiritual revival of Antiochian Orthodoxy.