AN HISTORICAL GAZETTEER OF BUTLER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA. 2006 by Luanne R. Eisler, Glee C. McKnight, Janet Smith, cartographer. This much sought-after and well-researched geographical dictionary of Butler County offers many enrichments that fills a large gap in resource material for this county. Five years in the making, this innovative and unusual work provides an alphabetical listing of municipalities, landmarks, post offices, creeks, railroad stations, ghost towns and other places that just aren't there anymore. Entries are detailed with their locations, how they got their names, their significance, a brief history and name changes. Also included is a fresh overview of Butler County with up-to-date manufacturing, agricultural, natural history and demographics information with a brief history of each township. Map transparencies illustrate how the four original townships have become thirty-three, and are located in a pocket inside the back cover of the book. The cartographer created new maps for each township that identify the entries from the text including previous names and extinct towns. Another bonus is a map illustrating the lay-out of downtown Butler in the nineteenth century. Extensively footnoted and with an impressive bibliography and hard cover, this book is not just entertaining and informative, it is also a valuable resource. An every-name, business, subject and locality index is a definite plus. Historic plat maps, black and white photos (many comparing twentieth and twenty-first century scenes) and colored photos spark the interest of any reader. Cover image is reproduction of the 1817 survey map of Butler County, PA. ISBN-13: 978-0-9760563-9-3; ISBN-10: 0-9760563-9-9; LOC 2007921370. 387 pages, 8 1/2 x 11 Hardbound.